Formic Acid in the Oil and Gas Industry
Formic acid, which is the simplest carboxylic acid, is an organic acid that is popular in the oil and gas industry. Also known as formylic acid, hydrogen carboxylic acid, Bilorin, Formisoton, Formia, and Myrmicyl, formic acid is a colorless liquid with a sharp odor that has many uses throughout the oil and gas sector such as:
- Corrosion inhibitor in hydraulic fracturing and pipes
- Dissolving calcium carbonate in oil fields
- Oil well drilling, stabilization, and completion (when in salt form)
Other advantages of using formic acid include:
- Easily recyclable
- Higher hydrocarbon yields
- Reduction in operating costs
- Minimization of damage to reservoirs and unplanned maintenance
It is important to note that formic acid (HCOOH) is highly flammable and can cause irritation to skin and mucous membranes. When handling pure formic acid protection is necessary; however diluted forms of the acid have a low level of toxicity. Continental Chemical USA is an industry-leading wholesale industrial and commercial bulk supplier of formic acid.
To learn more about how you can utilize formic acid for your oil and gas industry applications please feel free to contact a Continental Chemical USA representative at 1.877.959.5530 or email us today.